Quick hits on WWE Tough Enough
• When the bottom three were revealed as Matt, Rima and Ryan on Monday night’s Tough Enough, I thought for sure Ryan was going to be the one sent home, but “Stone Cold” Steve Austin swerved us. Matt – a high-flyer who has wrestled for years on the independent circuit as “M-Dogg 20” Matt Cross (see highlights of him in the videos below) – was one of the favorites to win it all, but he ended up being the second person eliminated. Austin’s reasoning was that he didn’t shine when he was given the opportunity. It was clear from Matt’s reaction that he did not expect to be eliminated. I suppose WWE wanted to put the other competitors on notice that no one is safe, and also to send a message to viewers that the eliminations are not always going to be easy to predict.
• There’s no doubt in my mind that Ryan should have been eliminated instead of Matt, but I think WWE is keeping him on the show a while longer because it gives Bill DeMott someone to pick on. When Ryan started crying because he missed his girlfriend, Tiffany, I was convinced that his fate was sealed.
• I see a lot of similarities between Ryan and Ric Flair. By that I mean that they both have long blond hair, are quick to cry and have had significant others named Tiffany.
• If Rima wasn’t Miss USA and someone whose presence brings attention to the show, I think it’s a good possibility that she would have been eliminated for showing up 20 minutes late to a workout.
• The final segment of the show when Austin cuts intense promos on the bottom three is must-see TV every week. Austin had me laughing out loud when he was lecturing Matt on making the most of his opportunities and talked about Vince McMahon calling him up and offering him a spot as The Ringmaster. “I knew The Ringmaster sucked, but it was a foot in the door,” he said.