Quick hits on WWE Superstars
• A good main event match between CM Punk and John Morrison – with The Miz doing commentary at ringside – highlighted Thursday’s episode of WWE Superstars. My prediction before the match started was that Miz would interfere behind the referee’s back, causing Punk to score a tainted pinfall victory. What actually happened was Miz interfered right in front of the ref, kicking Punk a couple times to get Morrison disqualified. I have always thought that was the dumbest rule in wrestling. Since Miz was clearly trying to screw over Morrison not help him, the ref should have just ruled the match no contest.
• At first, I thought Miz was doing a great job on commentary doing insult jokes at Morrison’s expense. The longer he was out there, however, the more I thought he sounded like a guy doing a parody of a pro wrestling heel.
• Miz’s best line came after Morrison hit Punk with a spin kick: “Note to self. Watch out for stupid spinning kick.”
• Vladimir Kozlov was put over strong against Tommy Dreamer. Dreamer’s swelled elbow made for a great visual, and he did a tremendous job of selling it (perhaps because he really was hurting). Matt Striker also did a good job of calling attention to the injury and getting across how much pain Dreamer was in.
• Ezekiel Jackson hit a Uranage Driver on Dreamer after the match, and then his music started playing. Since Kozlov won the match, shouldn’t it have been his music? Oh well, Jackson’s is better anyway.
• The Mark Henry-Chris Masters match wasn’t bad as far as strongman battles go.
• I thought it was funny during the “Ask the Divas” segment when Michelle McCool, responding to the question of which WWE superstar she would want as her partner in a mixed tag match, said Kane. I would have bet anything that she was going to say The Undertaker.