Quick hits on ECW
• It seems that every time I do an ECW review, I write the following phrase: “Christian had a good match with [fill in the blank].” On Tuesday night’s episode, it was with Yoshi Tatsu in an ECW title match. Once again, Christian successfully defended his title and elevated his opponent at the same time.
• You just knew that William Regal and his henchmen were going to do a post-match beat-down on Christian and Tatsu. It got a lot of heat because it ruined a feel-good moment for the fans, who clearly enjoyed the hard-fought, exciting match between two babyfaces.
• I usually enjoy Regal’s work, but I thought his rage over being denied an ECW title match was a little too over the top.
• The Sheamus-Shelton Benjamin match was good, but it made Benjamin look bad to lose clean, basically proving the Raw-bound Sheamus right about him being an underachiever.
• When asked by Abraham Washington about ECW not making an impact at Sunday’s Bragging Rights pay-per-view, Tiffany replied that ECW made a big impact because stars such as Kofi Kingston and John Morrison got their starts on ECW. The WWE creative team set up Tiffany to look ridiculous on that exchange.
• Byron Saxton did an adequate job in his debut as a commentator. He replaced Matt Striker, who is taking over for Jim Ross on Smackdown while Ross deals with his health issues.