Happy Diamondback Terrapin Day
Hallmark doesn't have a card for the occasion, but that shouldn't stop us from congratulating the state reptile for snagging a shout out today from Top Terrapin Martin O'Malley.
OK, it might have been better if the Gov had chosen a day other than Friday the 13th for Diamond Terrapin Day, but maybe after the university announced its new basketball coach earlier this week, MOM decided to go with the flow.
The proclamation doesn't get too specific on what we're supposed to do to celebrate or reflect. I guess if we were at College Park, we'd overturn something and set it on fire. So here, in no particular order are some suggestions:
1) Put on a turtleneck sweater
2) Polish up your car with Turtle Wax
3) Lay on your back and fling your limbs around. You know, turn turtle.
4) Challenge a rabbit to a race
For those of you who want to do something more meaningful, you can:
1) Save a turtle trying to cross a road by lifting it to its destination.
2) Visit the Terrapin Institute Research Station Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. and learn more about the critters.
3) If you're a waterfront homeowner who sets crab pots out, be sure to install a Turtle Excluder Device. It not only helps save turtles from drowning, it is required by state law. Read the regulation and then buy or make the TEDs for each pot. Here are some simple instructions.
Diamondback Terrapin Day may just come once a year, but we can make it a year-long event. Don't just Fear the Turtle, give it a little love.
2002 Baltimore Sun photo