The continuing saga of Alfredo Simon
Right-handed reliever Alfredo Simon is in Florida, has passed his physical and will work out at the Orioles’ minor-league complex in Sarasota.
That much we know. The rest is still sketchy.
Simon, who had been detained for more than two months in the fatal shooting of his cousin during a New Year’s Day celebration in the Dominican Republic, arrived in Florida on Saturday with a work visa. That gave the appearance that he wouldn’t be charged in the murder.
But the case’s lead prosecutor told CNN that a forensics investigation has afforded his office “enough to proceed” with charges, and that they could come as early as this week.
One of Simon’s Dominican attorneys, however, told CNN that the forensics reports favor her client and that the prosecutor’s office is being pressured by the Dominican media to press charges.
Simon, his American agents and the Orioles are not commenting on the case. There is some sense among Simon’s camp that if charges are not filed this week, they will not be. However, timelines and reports of charges have fluctuated dramatically during the case.
In January, several outlets alleged that Simon had been charged with murder, while his representation continually denied those reports, saying he was being held in custody without proper charges, which is not unusual in the Dominican.
Simon is currently on baseball’s restricted list.