Anderson Silva & Chael Sonnen: An instant classic fight
For four-and-a-half rounds, Sonnen did the same thing. He showed the world that Silva has a hard time on his back against a great wrestler. Every round was a repeat of the previous round.
It was just like pushing rewind and play on your DVR. Every round repeated the previous one.
If you were at ringside in Oakland, you are still feeling goose bumps. If you saw it on pay-per-view, you got a bargain. If you viewed it at a bar, you should have left a huge tip, because this one was worth the price of admission.
I was like some fight fans that disliked the trash talking by Sonnen. I guess it's not trash talking if you can back up your words. And tonight he did just that for 95 percent of the fight. It was the other 5 percent of the fight that he was submitted in.
Sonnen fans can only be happy with his performance. For Silva fans, this was a nail biter and a night to forget.
In the end, Silva won by a triangle armbar at 3:10 mark of the fifth round.
Georges St. Pierre is now on top of the pound-for-pound rankings.
Results from the card:
Dennis Hallman beat Ben Saunders by Unanimous Decision
Stefan Struve beat Christian Morecraft by KO (Punches
Tim Boetsch beat Todd Brown by Unanimous Decision
Johny Hendricks beat Charlie Brenneman by TKO (Punches
Phil Davis beat Rodney Wallace by Unanimous Decision
Rick Story beat Dustin Hazelett by TKO (Punches)
Junior dos Santos beat Roy Nelson by Unanimous Decision
Matt Hughes beat Ricardo Almeida by Technical Submission
Clay Guida beat Rafael dos Anjos by Submission (Jaw Injury)
Jon Fitch beat Thiago Alves by Unanimous Decision