Mixed martial arts odds and ends
Some odds and ends on a Friday:
* Strikeforce won the big Dan Henderson sweepstakes, as shocking as it seems to many. And by sweepstakes, I mean they overpaid for a guy Dana White undervalues. Henderson, in my opinion, is the second-best fighter not under the UFC’s umbrella. Fedor Emelianenko is obviously the other, which is why it’s puzzling White would let him go. Maybe he was asking for big money but Henderson has a few miles left in his tank and he still had some interesting fights left in the UFC. I’ll defer to White’s business sense, but letting Henderson fall to the competition is puzzling.
That being said, there are a few fights I want to see now that he’s in Strikeforce. Gegard Mousasi is one -- that would be a fight I’d pay a considerable amount of money to see. Henderson vs. Fedor (which is somewhat feasible, considering Fedor isn’t a HUGE heavyweight) is another that could be good. After that, what’s left? Jake Shields has talked about moving up to middleweight, so he could take on Henderson at that weight class but that might be a bit of a stretch.
* The UFC cut ring girls Logan and Natasha loose. I have prepared my response with the help of a 14-year-old girl: OMG, UFC ... WTF?
* The UFC had Lorenzo Fertitta in D.C. on Wednesday to testify in front of a House Judiciary Commitee about the proliferation of illegal Web streams that steal pay-per-views. He said at least 140,000 people viewed UFC 106 illegally and for free. Translation? Fertitta hates poor people and doesn’t think they should be allowed to enjoy the UFC just because some people have fallen on hard times in this poor economy.
Because 51 percent of the people in this country don’t understand sarcasm, the above translation was a joke. People shouldn’t steal UFC events. They can always do what I used to do in college: go to the home of your future in-laws and make them buy the PPVs. Sure, I feel obligated to repay them down the line with a grandkid or two but it definitely saved me money in the meantime.
* Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is coming back to the UFC. Of course he is. Did anyone think this wouldn’t happen?
* It looks like Frank Mir and Shane Carwin will face off for the UFC’s interim heavyweight championship. I like the pairing, which could make for a really interesting fight. Would much rather see Carwin-Brock Lesnar, but with Lesnar still on the shelf, this will do.
* Strikeforce has a great show this Saturday. I can't wait for the Gilbert Melendez-Josh Thomson fight and the Scott Smith-Cung Le bout. Looks like it will be a great night of fights all around.
*The WEC also has a strong show this Saturday, with Donald Cerrone taking on Ed Ratliff in the main event. Some tough decisions to be made this weekend.