baltimoresun.com

« Final Four in Baltimore welcome sight for two Notre Dame players | Main | Cottle dismissal doesn't sit well with area coaches »

Salisbury, Tufts comfortable with unsettled situations

The NCAA Division III Tournament pits two teams that thrive under chaotic circumstances.

There are no official statistics on goals scored during transition or unsettled situations, but Tufts, the No. 2 seed from the North region, has outscored its opponents by 91 goals this season and boasts seven players with at least 11 goals each.

Salisbury, the No. 1 seed from the South region, has outscored its opponents by a mind-boggling 189 goals and features seven players with at least 10 goals each.

Jumbos coach Mike Daly said his players look forward to taking advantage of unsettled situations.

"Certainly something that our guys are great about embracing and working with me on is we’re about to put 18- to 22-year-old young men on the field and with 20 of them on at the same time, a lot of crazy stuff happens," he said. "So we embrace that chaos a little bit and our guys are great about not worrying about the last play but worrying about the next play. We like – as Salisbury does – to create as much of those 18- to 22-year-old chaos and mistakes, and when it goes great, it’s one of the most beautiful things to watch. So we want to harness that energy and turn into what we’ve been able to turn it into 19 times this year."

Salisbury, however, might be one team well-prepared for Tufts’ transition game, according to coach Jim Berkman.

"Well, I don’t think it’s anything different from what we do every day in practice," he said. That’s the way we play. We’re running up and down and we’re making good decisions, and our drills reflect that in practice. We’ve never had a problem with playing fast."

Posted by Edward Lee at 10:00 AM | | Comments (1)
Categories: Salisbury
        

Comments

Where are you guys on this stuff with the BL lacrosse team? There's an article today, but glaringly no comments section. I wonder why. Do you really expect people to believe, as the author reports that BL didn't know about this until Monday? I am sure the playoffs last week didn't have anything to do with it? And what about the kids they let play who allegedly stole school computers and tried to sell them on the internet. They were only under investigation so it was ok to let them play? Where is the media on this? I wonder why it's not being reported?

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Please enter the letter "k" in the field below:
About Faceoff
Faceoff is The Baltimore Sun's blog devoted to college and high school lacrosse. Faceoff contributors include Sun reporters Edward Lee, Mike Preston and Katherine Dunn.
-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Most Recent Comments
Sign up for FREE local sports alerts
Get free Sun alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
Get free Baltimore Sun mobile alerts
Sign up for local sports text alerts

Returning user? Update preferences.
Sign up for more Sun text alerts
*Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Photo galleries
Blog updates
Recent updates to baltimoresun.com sports blogs  Subscribe to this feed