Marist rescinds scholarship offer to Cody Joyce
On Tuesday, Cody Joyce accepted a scholarship to play basketball at Marist. Two days later, the Southern graduate was informed that the Red Foxes were withdrawing the offer.
“They offered him a scholarship and he accepted,” said Pete Medhurst, Joyce’s father. “They called us, welcomed us to the family, [said] ‘Here’s when school starts, when he’ll move in.’ And [Marist coach] Chuck Martin called us [Thursday] afternoon and basically said the athletic director is not letting [them] take Cody.”
Medhurst said Marist athletic director Tim Murray told his wife on the phone that the school couldn’t accept Joyce because they were “over-enrolled.” Efforts to reach Murray through email Friday night were not immediately successful. Coaches are forbidden by NCAA rules from commenting on unsigned prospects.
Joyce, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound power forward, fielded interest from New Hampshire, South Dakota State and UMBC, but Marist was the most involved Division I program. Joyce was invited last month to take an unofficial visit to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and then invited again earlier this week for an official visit. Martin offered Joyce a scholarship, and the former Southern star said he “committed on the spot.”
Medhurst and his wife were informed by Martin on Thursday that the scholarship to Joyce was being rescinded. Joyce’s parents wrestled with the decision about whether or not to tell their son the news. After a sleepless night, the Medhursts told Joyce on Friday.
“Obviously he’s extremely disappointed,” Medhurst said. “Cody has done nothing wrong throughout the whole process. He’s the real victim in this. We’re all disappointed.”
While Medhurst’s still not certain of the reasons for Marist withdrawing Joyce’s offer, he’s not blaming Martin for what happened.
“Honestly, we don’t think Chuck’s done anything wrong here,” Medhurst said. “Chuck told me it was the most difficult phone call he had to make in his years of coaching. I take him at his word on that. He’s been completely open and honest.”
The next step for Joyce is unclear at the moment. The All-Anne Arundel County player will visit Goldey-Beacom, a Division II program in Wilmington, Del., on Saturday, and Massanutten Military Academy, a prep school in Woodstock, Va., on Tuesday.
“Our case would be if a year of prep school does Cody any good, that a lot of Division I schools would be recruiting him next year,” Medhurst said. “Do you take that chance? Could you play for a prep school and be right in the same spot, taking a DII scholarship and saving your family $25,000, $30,000? This is the tough part of the decision.”
Joyce, who averaged 14 points and 14 rebounds as a senior, is fully qualified academically. Medhurst is hopeful that his son moves on from this disappointment and finds the right situation soon.
“It just seems like the process kind of betrayed him a little bit this time,” Medhurst said. “But he’s a kid that I’m sure will be resilient. He’s going to make the best of whatever happens, and we’ll go from there. I’m sure when August comes, whatever school he’s at will have an outstanding student-athlete.”