Clear launches in Baltimore today
Clearwire Inc., the mobile broadband provider, today launch its fourth-generation wireless network in metropolitan Baltimore. Clearwire, which operates the service under the Clear brand name, relaunched a network that had been built by Sprint in the Baltimore area two years ago. (Sprint holds a major stake in Clear.)
The network provides high-speed mobile broadband access for use by computers, laptops and other Internet-connected devices. The company is marketing it as a wireless alternative to a customer's home wired internet connection, and for people who use laptops while on the move.
Home Internet service plans start at $30 per month, while unlimited mobile Internet plans start at $40 per month, according to Clear.
So where in the Baltimore area can you get Clear?
According to the company:
CLEAR® now covers 725 square miles and approximately 1.7 million people in the Baltimore metro area. Regionally, service extends as far north as Bel Air, as far south as Annapolis and southwest as Columbia, west to Owings Mills, and east to Dundalk and Essex. A detailed coverage map of today’s service area is available at www.clear.com/coverage.For full details from the official Clear press release, hit the jump:
Clearwire Ramps Up CLEAR® 4G Service in Baltimore
• 4G Network Expands to Cover 725 Square Miles in Baltimore
• Dean Young named CLEAR General Manager for the Baltimore Market
• Consumers and Businesses Now Have Access to Mobile Internet Service Significantly Faster Than 3G
• Customers Can Purchase Dual-mode 4G/3G Modems to Stay Connected Throughout the Region
• 4G Mobile Internet Promotion Available for the First Two Months With $50 Service Credit at Clear.com
BALTIMORE – June 1, 2010 – Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR), announced today it has extended its 4G reach throughout the Baltimore area. With the launch, the company is introducing the CLEAR brand to the marketplace. With CLEAR’s super fast 4G service, consumers and businesses located in the Baltimore area will be able to enjoy wireless access to the Internet at true broadband speeds – whether at home, working from the road, streaming movies online, playing multi-player online games, or watching Hulu on the go – anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area.
CLEAR® now covers 725 square miles and approximately 1.7 million people in the Baltimore metro area. Regionally, service extends as far north as Bel Air, as far south as Annapolis and southwest as Columbia, west to Owings Mills, and east to Dundalk and Essex. A detailed coverage map of today’s service area is available at www.clear.com\coverage.
For a limited time, customers in Baltimore can take advantage of CLEAR’s online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting as low as $15 per month for the first two months after a $50 service credit. This online promotion is available at www.clear.com.
The company also named Dean Young as general manager for the market.
“CLEAR is thrilled to expand our service offering to Baltimore residents, businesses and visitors a super fast Internet experience similar to what they’re used to having at home or the office, anywhere around town or on the go,” said Dean Young, CLEAR general manager for Baltimore. “Baltimore has been a pioneer city in providing high speed wireless Internet service on the East coast. CLEAR is proud to carry on that tradition by providing blazing fast 4G speeds for residents.”
Also today, Clearwire announced the launch of CLEAR in central Washington, D.C. and Kansas City, Kansas.
A CLEAR Difference
The CLEAR customer experience is similar to that provided by Wi-Fi, but without the short-range limitations of a traditional Internet hotspot. CLEAR uses WiMAX, a wireless 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi because it provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. Furthermore, CLEAR gives users average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.* Outside of the CLEAR 4G service area, dual-mode 4G/3G connectivity is available which provides expanded coverage using the fastest service available for regional travelers by leveraging Sprint’s 3G data network.
As the Internet integrates deeper into daily life, the opportunities to stay connected and be productive are enhanced by CLEAR in numerous ways. For example:
• A mobile professional no longer needs to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots or be constrained by the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards;
• A college student or retiree can now have affordable Internet service to meet their needs at home, on campus and on-the-go;
• A commuter can now work or access entertainment sites like Hulu or Pandora on the way to and from home;
• A busy parent can now have full Internet connectivity for kids studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan.
For these and many other customers, CLEAR's simple and innovative pricing provides ultimate flexibility. CLEAR's mobile and residential plans can be purchased by the day or by the month, with several no-service-contract options available. Home Internet service plans start at $30 per month. CLEAR 4G unlimited mobile Internet plans start at $40 per month. For a limited time, customers in Washington D.C. can take advantage of CLEAR's online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting at $15 per month for the first two months after a $50 service credit. This online promotion is available at http://www.clear.com.
Additional savings are available for customers purchasing a combination of services such as Home and On-The-Go, Home and Voice and combination On-The-Go plans. Combination plans start at $50 per month. In addition, CLEAR 4G+ offers customers access to the entire Clearwire 4G network plus 3G mobile Internet service outside the CLEAR service area for $55 per month. Visitors or occasional users with a 4G-enabled device can also purchase a convenient 4G day pass for $10.
Full details about CLEAR products, service plans and options for business customers can be found online at http://www.clear.com, via telesales (1-877-499-6681), at a CLEAR retail store, or by visiting an authorized CLEAR dealer. CLEAR retail stores in Baltimore are located at: Arundel Mills Mall, Columbia Mall, Harborplace & The Gallery, Mondawmin Mall, Towson Town Center, and White Marsh Mall.
CLEAR service is also available from a number of other outlets including Best Buy, Micro Center and RadioShack.
Simply Plug-In and Go
CLEAR offers several simple choices for broadband connectivity.
• CLEAR USB Modem and CLEAR 4G+ Mobile Modem: Mobile users simply plug-in CLEAR's compact, mobile 4G-enabled USB modem into their laptop to get online. The USB modem is available for only $64.99 or leased for just $3.99 per month. Customers can purchase the modem from a store or online. Customers who travel across the U.S. may purchase the CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB, a dual-mode (4G/3G) modem from CLEAR. The dual-mode capabilities give the truly mobile user access to the 4G network in the CLEAR coverage area and 3G coverage nationwide. The 4G+ Mobile USB is available to lease for only $5.99 per month.
• Residential Data & Voice Services: For residential service, CLEAR offers customers a wireless high-speed modem, about the size of a small book. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to install high-speed Internet service without the need to schedule an appointment, drill holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupt their day. The CLEAR Home Modem Series G can be purchased for $79.99 or leased for just $4.99 monthly. Residential customers can also add in-home voice service with purchase of the CLEAR Voice Adapter. There are 3 packages to choose from - Basic Home CLEAR Internet with Voice, Get Two, or Get Three - all with flat monthly rates.
• Clear SpotTM: With the Clear Spot, any existing, off-the-shelf Wi-Fi device can connect to CLEAR's 4G network. The Clear Spot creates a personal Wi-Fi hotspot that travels with consumers anywhere they happen to be within CLEAR's 4G service area. This $49.99 device is a portable, battery-powered router that seamlessly connects up to eight standard Wi-Fi-enabled devices (computers, mobile phones, portable gaming, consoles, cameras, etc.) to the CLEAR 4G network via a Clear USB modem. The Clear Spot is compatible with both the CLEAR 4G and CLEAR 4G+ 4G/3G mobile USB service options.
• Intel Embedded WiMAX Laptops: Clearwire customers can also select from one of 30 different 4G-ready Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 embedded netbooks and notebooks from leading manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba. A detailed list of CLEAR-ready laptops is available at www.clear.com.
Clearwire 4G Markets in 2010
CLEAR service is currently available in cities across the United States, including: Atlanta and Milledgeville, GA; Baltimore, MD; Boise, ID; Chicago, IL; Las Vegas, NV; Kansas City, KS, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York, PA; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro, NC; Honolulu and Maui, HI; Seattle and Bellingham, WA; Portland, OR; and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, TX; and central Washington, D.C.
In the summer of 2010, CLEAR service will extend to Jacksonville and Daytona, FL; Nashville, TN; St. Louis, MO; Salt Lake City, UT; Merced, Modesto, Stockton, and Visalia, CA; Wilmington, DE; Grand Rapids, MI; Eugene, OR; Richmond, VA; and Yakima and Tri-Cities, WA.
By the end of 2010, Clearwire's 4G network is expected to cover up to 120 million people, including additional cities such as New York City, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
For more information about CLEAR, visit http://www.clear.com or The Clear Blog www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear_Events. Detailed company information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
For press and broadcast: Product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire website at: http://newsroom.clearwire.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214419&p=imagegallery. To subscribe to Clearwire's RSS news feed, click here.
CLEAR, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Our 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 44 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand our 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand called CLEAR® as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash., additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
This is an archived version of the technology blog. For updated coverage, see the current baltTech location: baltimoresun.com/balttech