Obama responds to flag photo: The Swamp

The Swamp
Posted November 7, 2007 3:37 PM
The Swamp

by John McCormick

MUSCATINE, Iowa – The photo continues to circulate on the Internet and a voter here this afternoon asked Sen. Barack Obama to explain why he did not have his hand over his heart in front of a giant American flag when the other candidates standing next to him did.

Calling the viral e-mail a "classic dirty trick," the Illinois Democrat told his supporters to correct the record and that the image is not what it appears to be.

"This is just so irritating," Obama responded. "This was not the Pledge of Allegiance. This woman was singing the Star Spangled Banner. Now, I was taught by my grandfather that you put your hands over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. The Star Spangled Banner, you sing. So that's what I did."

The photo was taken this summer at Sen. Tom Harkin's annual steak fry in Indianola, Iowa.

"These aren't the only e-mails that are going out," Obama said. "You've got e-mails saying that I'm a Muslim plant that's trying to take over America and this and that and the other."

Obama, speaking to about 350 people in the gymnasium of a community center, advised a polite response to those sending around the message.

"If you get this e-mail from someone you know, set the record straight," he said. "You don't have to curse them out, just tell them that they are misinformed."

Earlier, in an interview this morning with Radio Iowa, Obama said he makes no apologies for aggressively challenging Sen. Hillary Clinton in recent weeks.

"The politics of hope has never meant that we ignore difficult problems and it certainly doesn't mean hoping that your opponents aren't going to point out contradictions or difficulties in your record," he said.

"Voters don't want manipulation or lies or distractions from the issues," Obama said. "I do think that the voters want to get clarity about what the various candidates stand for, want specific answers to some of the tough questions that we're facing."

Obama said it was "pretty surprising" that former President Bill Clinton had warned his wife's critics that they were entering "Cutesy Land" by questioning her patriotism in a way the group of so-called "Swift Boat Veterans" did with John Kerry in 2004.

Obama said the question over whether illegal immigrants should be given driver's licenses was handled in a "civil" way during last week's debate.

"She then got tangled up in her own answer," Obama said. "Now, the notion that somehow that was the equivalent of 'Swift-Boating' is a little far-fetched and I think that the Clinton campaign itself would probably acknowledge that."

Digg Delicious Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo

Comments

Calling the viral e-mail a "classic dirty trick,

The GOP has nothing but dirty tricks and fear to give us anymore because the proof is in the pudding. Years of corruption and nothing resembling conservative values.

The opposition has nothing substantive so they rely on fairy tales to berate an fine man and the best candidate.

It's great to know that the Republic Party continues to care about the really "important issues" during this election cycle i.e. the flag lapel pin, the price of a haircut, cleavage etc ect.

This is how we get stuck with President 24% in the first place (people thought it would be cool to have a beer with him)....idiots.

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a statement so racist that it's almost a parody? What exactly are you saying, Sam? This is fascinating.

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM

Yep, Bigotry is alive and well in the United States. The Republicans should be ashamed of pandering after ignorant hateful fools like Sam.

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM

Are you wearing your hood today?

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM
Besides the racial overtones (duh), Sam seems to enjoy those cute little osama games. You and paulo would make a lovely couple.

Sam -

Shouldn't you be at home beating your wife (who also happenst to be your sister)?

These comments blaming the GOP are hilarious. Of course the Clintons couldn't dare stoop to dirty tricks!

LOL LOL LOL

Every real American knows that you only put your hand over your heart when you stand and sing the confederate national anthem and with your hat on. Why doesn't bill r and the rest of the red neck crew know that.

Oh yeah!? Let's not forget Dick Cheney's allegiance to the Stars and Bars.

Sam;
Why don't you just crawl back under your rock?
You are a very sick human being.

It is hard not to get angry when you see dirty tricks like this. That Barack encourages a polite response to such things speaks to his character and to the kind of leader he is. The country needs to focus on the issues and on who is the best person to bring us together and deal with the difficult problems we face. Get to know more about Barack and you'll see that he is the right person to put America back on the right path.

This is such a nothing story.

Whether it's the hand over heart, a salute or just standing at attention, what's the difference? Somebody's individual body language doesn't tell you where their heart is.

At a ball game, or other event, I just stand at attention (hat off, of course). I'm not much of a singer so I actually, rarely, even sing along. I don't see how that would equate to being less of an American.

Why does the so-called "conservative" bunch stoop so low?

Unfortunately, there are enough active idiots and lazy know-it-alls that desperate tricks like flag-waving, Bible-thumping, name-calling and mockery can turn an election.

It's not only Republicans. The Democrat mayor of Indianapolis just lost his third term bid last night because all he used was negative, dirty, false campaigning and the underfunded underdog Republican beat him. Negative campaigning is the way of the past, and one of the main reasons Obama is the front runner (despite the media's assertion it is Clinton) is because he doesn't play those games. I say Bring On the Negativity, The Lies and The Games, because Obama Don't Play That.

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM

Waiting on the indignation of one John D to call out Sam on his ugly comments. John D is often up in arms over the "hate" when someone calls a Republican a harsh name like "scumbag" or "vile".

"He would make a more sympathetic victim if more than one of his parents was white. Stick a fork in Osama.

Posted by: Sam | November 7, 2007 3:47 PM"

And you'd make a much more sympathetic commenter if more than one of your parents was human. (We're not real sure about the other one, either.) I won't even try to detail what you can stick into you, or where you can stick it.

Of a more general note (and leaving Sam in the mud), I was always taught that you hold your hand over your heart when you said the Pledge of Allegiance AND when you sing the National Anthem. Is that incorrect?

Looks like Rove left the White House but he is still up to his OLD tricks.

How ridiculous, Obama accusing Republicans of dirty tricks. (He's starting to sound like Hillary.) The photo is real, it was in Time magazine, Inside Edition, a MSM TV show did a story on it.

Given his own campaign supplied pix of him putting the hand over the heart at other times, it was probably deliberate, just like he made a point of not wearing the flag lapel pin.

And he's been at enough of these events (gee, go to a baseball game, not even a political one) to see people put their hands over their hearts when the national anthem is played. Other than the schools, most Americans associate hand on heart more with the anthem than the pledge.

So it's a legitimate issue--it goes to Obama's ambivalence about America. And I'd like to hear him sing the anthem next time:)

Sorry, that earlier comment citing my blog was me, forgot to sign off.

problem is Obama is wrong - see the link - you should hold your hand over your heart to be respectful

Craig E

Posted by: Anonymous | November 7, 2007 5:52 PM

(Anonymous comments will not be posted. Comments aren't posted immediately. They're screened for relevance to the topic, obscenity, spam and over-the-top personal attacks. We can't always get them up as soon as we'd like so please be patient. Thanks for visiting The Swamp.)

Wingnuts can never play by the rules, they know they would lose...

Oh...Obama is such a hypocrite when it comes to dirty tricks! Jack Ryan would have beat Obama easily, but Obama and The Trib teamed up to get Ryans divorce records released so they could smear him!
And Obama's hand wasn't over his heart during the national anthem because his religion [Muslim] doesn't allow it!

Paulo

Anne Leary-

Which shows greater "ambivalence to america"?

A. Occasional not putting your hand on your heart for the national anthem?

B. Declining to attend meetings of the Commission investigating the attacks of 9/11/01 to attend to your personal business?

C. Approving the use of Torture by the United States?

We have enough serious issues to not need silly made up issues like this.

Obama grew up in Indonesia and went to public elementary school there. I doubt he even knows about Pledge of Allegiance fully which is taught at primary school here. I came from China more than 20 years ago and became a US citizen almost ten years ago. I still don't know fully the Pledge or the national anthem. I love this country very much, but I think that the constitution requires US President to be US born is a wise one. It maybe necessary to amend it to be US raised in addition to US born. A person like me that grew up and was educated in a foreign country could never completely be at home here no matter how much I love this country. And US President should be 100% American born and American raised and educated (at least before college) so that he/she can be the commander-in-chief of the US military. If the US President is not commander-in-chief of the military, I would say anybody could be eligible to be US President.

One more thing, do anybody believe grandparents actually teach you about Pledge or Natinal Anthem? Elemetary school teachers do! That's how my kids learned their Pledge, not from me.

Much ado about nothing.

Based on what I've read, I believe Senator Obama when he says this occurred during the national athem not the pledge. Say what you will about him, but the notion that he's unpatriotic is bull.

They all had it wrong technically from what I've read. Apparently, even the folks who had their hands over their hearts should have been facing the flag since it was displayed.

From a Hillary fan, this is silly.

AJF: In B are you talking about Sandy stuff his pants full of incriminating documents Berger and then lose them (and his law license as a result?)

As far as C the US does not torture. (If you are confused about this get yourself arrested in Iran.)

I will grant that Obama is pretty ambivalent about everything--except himself.

How many people when growing up were taught to put your hand over your heart when singing the star spangled banner? I never was and I'm sure not many were, it was the pledge of alligence, that's where. These emails are that someone is doing a "classic dirty trick" - making you believe something that is not true. So Barack was correct in that statement.

Such a waste of time and I really hope people don't take this to heart or believe all that they hear.

Hey liberal fools, Obama is running against Hillary, not a republican. Republicans would love to have him as the dim candidate. But you fools keep blaming republicans, because it shows what fools you are.

How can Obama claim "dirty tricks," when he himself admits he was wrong?

The US Flag Code (UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 36, CHAPTER 10, SECTION 171) says "During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart." - http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#171

You'd think someone on his staff would have looked up the law before letting him eat his foot. You'd think a US Senator would know the law.

Barack, you are also to put your hand over heart when singing the National Anthem. Tens of thousands of fans do that each and every time they see a baseball, football, basketball, hockey game.

Mike S,
Are you suggesting that Brown Shirts roam football stadiums and basketball arenas arresting or fining all those who are not in compliance with this law?

Morons, this most likely could have been planted and started by a crazy Hilary fan just as it could be a Pub supporter. Both parties are just as corrupt and capable of this kind of thing ... admit it, and more forward.

Mike S,
He said he was taught what to do by his grandfather. He didn't say he's read some BS law that tells what Americans must do with their hands during the anthem. He's telling the truth, you are playing dirt tricks.

I think this whole thing about the picture showing everyone but Obama with their hand over their heart is much to do about nothing. In the first place, everyone in the picture should have been facing the flag. I just can't believe how petty some people can be in order to smear someone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "If we let a man of Obama's stature and qualities slip through our fingers and NOT put him in the White House, we will regret it in years to come."
Joanne/ Go Barack Go/Obama in the Heart

John D
Apparently you have never been to a baseball, basketball, or football game. True patriots sing loud and clear; hand over your heart is for the pledge.
No wonder you are John "D" (Duh)

Posted by: John D | November 8, 2007 11:27 AM

You want to show me where it is written that you are "supposed to do it".

Depending on the sport, there could be 20 - 100k in a stadium. Most everybody stands and men remove their caps (as I mentined I do in a previous post). Beyond that, everyone is different. I would hardly say, having attended many events, that even a majority put their hand (or hat) over their heart. And few actually sing.

But even if you don't wish to stand or acknowledge the anthem at all, it would actually be more "Un-American"
to deny that person the right to do that. Or to intimidate him into conforming.

It's what's IN you heart that matters, not what's over it.

As a former Marine I know 100% that if not in uniform you put your hand over your heart for the Star Spangled Banner and if wearing a hat remove it and hold it over your heart. Stop making exceuse for the guy. He clearly did not know. Once again why every person who runs for President should have some kind of military background. Unfortunately this year all 3 front runners have 0 military experience.

I guess it's now official-

John D has no issues with the blatant racism in Sam's post above even though he was specifically asked multiple times to comment on it.

Anne-

B. No I was talking about Rudy (noun, Verb, 9/11) wh could be bothered to take time from his personal business to actually address the issues involved in his favorite topic of conversation.

C. Yeah Right, Mr. Cheney.

I've been to many a baseball game and yes we Americans were taught to SING along with the National Anthem, and I've always noticed some put their hand over their hearts when they sing this and some don't. But -- when we pledge allegiance to the flag, we absolutely definitely put our hand over our heart. Let's see now, what will come across the internet about Obama next, that he uses the wrong kind of --- toilet paper?

I'll bet few know that prior to WWII the Pledge was recited with your arm outstretched in front of you pointing toward the flag. Exactly the way Nazi's saluted Hitler.

AJF, I did not see Sam' post or the pleas for me to comment. I do not read every post in every Swamp item.

Anyway, Sam's comment is pretty stupid if you ask me. Whomever Sam is, I do not support such comments.

Also, I do not recall ever seeing a Sam post in here before. And I also know folks like John E post as others, and even post as others while pretending to be a conservative or Republican. So "Sam," very well could be a Loony Lefter trying to post as some white racist.

Regardless, though, there is no place for such sentiments as those conveyed by "Sam."

From what I've read, Barack is not a fan of false patriotism and believes that true patriotism is found in a person's heart and is not based solely on outward signs. Barack's willingness to work so tirelessly for America, and to stand up for what is right, whether it's popular or not, whether it is politically advantageous or not, makes him one of the most patriotic people I've ever encountered.

If you still feel that you must see someone's hand on their heart to know for sure that they are patriotic, please see this Washington Post Fact Checker article. It includes additional photos of Barack and does a good job of investigating the validity of this vile email.

But also consider the stifling requirements of outward signs of nationalism required in more repressive countries. Remember freedom?

People like Sam need just a "straw". A silly issue like this is all they need. No member of my family taught me the rules of patriotic symbolism. So I evidently learned it in elementary school. I put hand over heart for the Pledge ONLY. Like Obama I sing.....but only occasionally. I served in the military and was never instructed to to otherwise. If in Uniform and a flag goes by in a Parade, a military ceremony, etc you come to attention and salute the same as you would passing an officer.

Somebody, Hillary camp, supporter or Republican can't find any "real" dirt on Obama so they are stretching minute points.

Obama wants to be our President, yet he DOESN'T KNOW THE FLAG CODE OF HIS OWN COUNTRY????

Which CLEARLY states his hand should be over his heart during the NATIONAL ANTHEM. PERIOD.

My six year old knows this from being at a ball game.

I don't buy it. I think he was sending a message of complete indifference. Well here's my message, Obama..BUH BYE!!

When the song is performed in public, it is customary for American citizens to stand and face the American flag, if one is displayed, in an attitude of respectful attention.[6]

1. ^ National Anthem Committee National Anthem Code of the United States, adopted April 2, 1942, National Association for Music Education National Anthem Project

I suppose all of this is open to interpretation. The National Anthem committee indicated that it is customary to stand and face the flag, with no mention of the hand over the heart.

I saw a video of this "event" and if Obama was singing instead of putting his hand over his heart, he would make an excellent ventriloquist, as his lips didn't move. Maybe he was humming because he doesn't know the words.

"My grandfather taught me how to say the Pledge of Allegiance when I was 2," Obama said, his annoyance obvious. "During the Pledge of Allegiance you put your hand over your heart. During the national anthem you sing."

That is such a blatant outrageous lie. When Hussein was 2 years old his grandfather was a MUSLIM not even living in this country. Why would a MUSLIM (and one with a violent history at that) teach him the Pledge of Allegiance when he was raised to hate Christians. Jews and Americans in general???

STILL, don't trust this "asshole" - he will DO harm to the US.......

The flag: No dirty trick. Just the facts. Evidently Obama needs a refresher course in the US Code about respect to the flag. He probably knows, but he doesn't want to offend anyone. Well I am offended and will to the best of my ability to let everyone know.

I think there are alot of lies being spread about Obama...I think you need to study his political track record and ignore the smear attempts...I've always held my hand over my heart but that doesn't neccesarily make that the official protocol.... ;) The urban legend sites have clarified a few things....do your homework.

the response is very lame and bogus - every American knows the proper respect for the Flag during the Anthem is the hand over the heart - this lack of respect has a real element of treason in it - Jamie Jones

Senator Obama,
Which grandfather failed to teach you our 150 year old tradition of saluting during the United States of America's National Anthem? I do not believe it was your American grandfather. Perhaps it was your Kenyan grandfather. Who taught you to prevaricate?

Whatever Senator Obama had in mind when not placing his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem was wrong. EVERONE that is a true American knows that with the pledge and the national anthem one places his/her hand over their heart except for Soldiers who salute. As a vet is is very disrespective to see anyone especially someone who wants to lead our country acting in this way. Maybe he was not correctly informed or maybe he is not a true american. As for being Muslum we don't need anyone running on their faith alone. I think the problems with the country now is that we as AMERICANS have allowed TOO many people from other countries infiltrate our nation and yes one day they will rule and we will not longer be AMERICA. As for the presidency there is NOT ANY ONE of the canadates worthy of the office. IN a nutshell we don't have a true leader seeking the office.

I also agree with one of the comments before about the President having to be born in America, I also believe strongly that ANY and ALL Presidents should have spent some time in the Military.

That ASSHOLE needs to be respectful to the American Flag regardless of what he was taught by his grandmother or who ever. If you are running for the "Commander In Chief" spot you should at least know the law. Or maybe when he was too busy using drugs in his earlier years that fact was taken from him when the drugs fried his brain cells.

If I had him at my house I would carve an American Flag over his chest so he would get the point next time.

The only smart Democrap that is running would be John Edwads, Barak Bin Laden got to where he is because over half of the people he ran against in his earlier career either ran out of money during election times or they could not run again due to time restrants, do your homework people about who you all talk about.

McCain for President.

Although the Star-Spangled Banner is not specifically mentioned in the Flag portion of the U.S. Code, it is mentioned in a much later chapter. Generally the proper procedure during the Star-Spangled Banner is the same as the procedure during the Pledge of Allegiance. The main difference is that the Pledge cannot be recited without the presence of an American Flag, while the Star-Spangled Banner can be sung without a flag present.

There are certainly a bunch of ignorant red necks in this country. Go home and marry your sister, losers. We'll probably be stuck with that warmonger Mccain or that b**** Clinton. Then see where this country goes. And If McCain wins I hope your loser kids go to that hell hole Iraq.

I don't think any of you look around during sporting events. I'm in New York, and the only thing that EVERY AMERICAN does is stand and take their hat off. Some people put their hand over their heart, some don't, some sing, some don't, etc.

I'm wondering if this is a regional thing, but I'm pretty sure the HORRIBLY OFFENDED are so self-absorbed they don't notice. Not that it matters, since anyone "convinced" about Obama's character by this non-event was already convinced long ago and is just using this to justify their existing prejudices.

happy to have found this explanation from mr. obama. it really didn't look good from the picture.
the rumors didn't make any sense because he carries a Bible and he was "sworn" in. he couldn't possibly be a muslim; he took his girls trick or treating! he danced with his wife. he hugs and shakes hands with white people. muslims believe they are beelzebub!
i have watched and studied this guy. he is the "real"
deal! he does pledge the flag. as for the flag pen the official code does not allow for this sort of display, anyway. But, most people disregard it all the time. car dealers break the rules of the use of the flag all the time.
perfectly, satisfied that the rumors are false.

Barack for President

I know that Barack Obama is aware of the mess that this country is in, and he is aware that if not seriously helped this country will go down in a catastrophic turmoil. What grasps my attention the most, is the fact that he is not motivated to be president only because of the problems that this country is currently going through, but by the "smallness" of the government or political party that is running our congress today. This as it should inspire not only me but everyone that really wants "change we can believe in."

Obama was the only one out of 8 people on stage who did not put his hand over his heart.
Add this to the lapel pin controversy. Even Arnold new enough to wear a western belt buckle when running for office in California. May sound simple minded but its common sense. Common sense is locking in today’s Politian’s. Apparently we won't find any with Obama.