Bush faces fires: 'I wish we could control the wind': The Swamp

The Swamp
Posted October 24, 2007 11:42 AM
The Swamp

by Mark Silva

With a half-million people evacuated from fire-threatend homes in Southern California, President Bush said today that he has pledged all the federal assistance possible to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in a fight against nature itself. Bush will head to California tomorrow.

"I had a conversation with Gov. Schwarzenegger,'' Bush said following a Cabinet meeting at the White House today. "My question to him was, 'Are you getting what you need; are the people there in California getting the help they need from the federal agencies to help the good folks in California deal with these devastating fires?' His answer was, yes. I assured him that if he needs anything, then, great, we'll provide it, we'll do so.

"I've been meeting with my Cabinet secretaries that are responsible for helping the state and local authorities fight these fires,'' the president said. "I believe the effort is well coordinated. I know we're getting the manpower and assets on the ground that have been requested by the state and local authorities.

"I wish we could control the wind, because one of the things that's hampering our joint capability of fighting these fires is the strong westerly winds,'' he said. "I'm told the winds may be dying down soon, in which case it will make it -- make this equipment we've got in place a lot more effective at helping fight the fires. ''

The president this week declared an emergency in seven southern California counties and today signed a "major disaster declaration,'' enabling federal funds to be released to families who have been disrupted by the wildfires.

"Looking forward to going out to California tomorrow,'' he said. "We'll continue to make sure that our efforts are coordinated, that we are responsive to the needs and people.

"And most importantly, I want the people in Southern California to know that Americans all across this land care deeply about them, we're concerned about their safety, we're concerned about their property, and we offer our prayers and hopes that all will turn out fine in the end,'' the president said. "In the meantime, they can rest assured that the federal government will do everything we can to help put out these fires.''

Digg Delicious Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo

Comments

Bush: "I wish we could control the wind."

I wish he could control his spending.

Posted by: John D | October 24, 2007 12:43 PM

You are a total moron, Dyslin. No matter how many times you hold your ears and yell your garbage from the rooftop, the fact remains the same: George Bush is blamed for the lack of response to Katrina, no more, no less.

Bush's FEMA failed the people of New Orleans. It doesn't take a partisan or a "loony" to see that.

Posted by: John D | October 24, 2007 12:43 PM

Nah, John, it was the illegal immigrants fault, right? Or has Pat Robertson determined that it is God punishing the US again?

Well, Johnny - how much of the California National Guard and their equipment is tied up over in Iraq instead of being on the ground in their home state??

"Can't wait to see all the comments from the Loony Left that blames Bush for the wildfires, wind, homes burning, etc."

Oh, John. We did not know you thought so highly of our opinions as to wait eagerly in anticipation of what we have to say. We must be doing something right.

Now THAT is what I call psychosis or an unhealthy fixation with all things left.

Here's your fix sweety.

Bush caused the wildfires, he sent the wind, he burned the houses down, etc.

There. It's not like you are capable of hearing anything else, anyway. You are set for another 24 hours. See Yah tomorrow.

A tragedy but what a difference. A governor, local mayors and local officials who had a plan, did not hesitate to execute it, and implemented it successfully to evacuate and care for the largest number of persons in any one disaster in the nation's history. The lesson: if local responders plan well and the leadership acts, catastrophes can be conquered. Then the longer distance support, including the Feds and rest of the nation, can arrive to add their help. Amazing what competent local leadership and citizen support can accomplish.

The politicization of a natural occurrence. This is completely disingenuousness. No, matter your political party affiliation, and setting aside your thoughts on issues. We all need to remember what it is to be an American Citizen. We need to make sure our elected representatives obey their Oath of Office and keep their Oath of Allegiance. See http://tinyurl.com/2znnvl Know whom you are voting for.

This wind is an evil doer! Evidence suggests that this wind has sought stronger winds from Al Qaeda in Iran. I have made the decision to bomb the wind and any country working with it to Timbuktu; that's a funny name. God Bless and 911.

Good thing this didn't happen during one of the president's month-long vacations, like Hurricane Katrina and and all those pesky warnings before 9/11...

Posted by: BobinATL | October 24, 2007 1:26 PM

I'm not John D., but I'll answer your question.

The answer is: Not enough to make any difference.

The Governator has asked for 1,500 national guardsmen to assist the U.S. Forest Service fight the SoCal fires. There are over 17,000 guardsmen available to help. In addition, another 500 Marines from Camp Pendleton near San Diego have volunteered to help.

Alternate caption: "I see opportunity here. If I can use 9/11 to broker power and suspend civil liberties, maybe I can make those Santa Ana winds blow California Republican"

President Dunderhead Speaks

""I wish we could control the wind, "

This is actually a passive aggressive swipe at his enemies.

""I wish we could control the wind, "

Let's all pray this never comes about.

Can you imagine if the wind became politicized?

'Democratic Los Angeles was buffeted once again with high winds and fires, while Republican Orange County remained calm today....'

' I promise, if chosen to represent you, fair cool light breezes for all Americans!' (wild applause)

Alt Cap:

'heh heh,,,I wish ah could contol the wind, ya know? But I cain't! TexMex ya know. heh heh, it's murder, ya know? heh heh.'

*****

Posted by: C.Morris | October 24, 2007 8:24 PM

Sigh.

I just knew this was going to turn into a fart joke sometime. The caption just begged for one.

Sigh.

""I wish we could control the wind, "

This is actually a passive aggressive swipe at his enemies.

Posted by: C.Morris | October 24, 2007 6:38 PM

Noooo! Really?

Bush caused the wildfires, he sent the wind, he burned the houses down, etc.

Posted by: The Left | October 24, 2007 1:28 PM

Don't forget how Bush moved the island of Cuba several hundred miles to the west so that all of it would be within the Gulf of Mexico.

And how Bush moved that middle school that will hand out birth control from Portland, Maine over 3000 miles west to Oregon.