Throw out the trash
One way to prepare for a new year is to discard useless items that have been accumulating and encumbering us. By way of assisting you, I offer some examples that might help you to clean house.
1. Barack Obama is a native-born citizen of the United States and thus qualified for the presidency. This fact is amply supported. If you still entertain a contrary opinion, then you have been gulled by cranks or misled by dishonest persons.
2. Basic evolutionary theory, with some quibbling over details, has widespread acceptance in the scientific community. So do the theory of relativity, the theory of gravitation, and the theory of the heliocentric solar system. If you have your children taught otherwise, you are curtailing their ability to operate in the world as informed adults.
3. Same with global warming. On this one, you have potential to do even more serious harm to your children.
4. The Civil War, whose 150th anniversary is approaching, was fought over the slavery issue. Apologists for the Confederacy continue to insist that the war was fought over states’ rights. In fact, slavery was the only states’ right that mattered to the secessionists.* All you have to do is read what the secessionists themselves said. By all means find noble and honorable elements in antebellum Southern culture, but don’t deny the ugly fact.
5. Gay people and illegal immigrants will not be magically made to go away. It’s time you accepted the former as fellow human beings with the same civil rights as everyone else. It’s time to recognize the latter as inextricably bound up in our economy and find a way to regularize their status in this country.
This should give any number of people an opportunity to unclutter their minds as 2011 approaches, but I am open to other suggestions as well.
*Well, that and the fear that an increase in the number of free states would eliminate the disproportionate representation slave states exercised in Congress through the odious three-fifths clause.