All 12 redistricting hearings scheduled
The Governor's Redistricting Advisory Committee today announced it has scheduled all 12 of its public hearings on reshaping congressional and state legislative districts.
The first two hearings -- set last week -- will be in Western Maryland, one of the places that grew the most, according to the 2010 U.S. Census. (Entire schedule after the jump.)
On Aug. 12, the redistricting roadshow comes to Baltimore, with a hearing planned for 7 p.m. at the Morgan State University student center. The city suffered a significant population loss over the past decade and is likely to cede at least a few state lawmakers to growing areas, such as Frederick or Charles counties.
Fittingly, the very next hearing is Aug. 24 at the College of Southern Maryland in La Plata.
Following the public hearings, the five-member redistricting committee will complete a congressional redistricting map to submit to Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley for review. The Democrat-led General Assembly plans to meet for a special session Oct. 17 to vote on the map. The state legislative map vote will take place in the regular 2012 session, which begins in January.
• Saturday, July 23, 2 p.m., Hood College (Rosenstock Hall-Hodson Auditorium), 401 Rosemont Ave., Frederick
• Monday, July 25, 7 p.m., Prince George's Community College (Largo Student Center- Rennie Forum), 301 Largo Road, Largo, Prince George's County
• Wednesday, August 10, 7 p.m., The Universities at Shady Grove (Building #1 Auditorium), 9630 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, Montgomery County
• Friday, August 12, 7 p.m., Morgan State University, Student Center (Calvin & Tina Tyler Ballroom #4), 1700 East Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore City
• Wednesday, August 24, 7 p.m., The College of Southern Maryland (Center for Business and Industry, Room BI-113), 8730 Mitchell Road, La Plata, Charles County
• Saturday, August 27, 11 a.m., Harford Community College (Amoss Center), 200 Thomas Run Road, Bel Air, Harford County
• Saturday, August 27, 2 p.m., Towson University (Stephens Hall Theater), 8000 York Road, Towson, Baltimore County
• Tuesday, August 30, 4 p.m., Anne Arundel County (Location to be announced)
• Tuesday, August 30, 7 p.m., Howard County (Location to be announced)
• Saturday, September 10, 12:30 p.m., Salisbury University, 1101 Camden Avenue, Salisbury, Wicomico County
• Saturday, September 10, 4 p.m., Chesapeake College (Todd Performing Arts Center), Routes 50 and 213, Wye Mills, Talbot County