Ehrlich on robocalls: 'I don't think they work'
A reporter for the news site Towson Patch caught up with Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. yesterday at a Princeton-Towson basketball game, where the twice-defeated Republican former governor briefly discussed his future and the controversial Election Day robocalls that are under investigation.
Ehrlich, who sat courtside with his two boys as his alma mater defeated Towson, wouldn't comment on the state investigation of his operative Julius Henson and the batch of more than 112,000 robocalls deployed in the final hours before polls closed Nov. 2.
Henson's home was raided last week as part of a state prosecutors' investigation, and Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler has already filed a civil lawsuit against Henson, alleging voter intimidation and voter suppression.
Henson has acknowledged ordering the robocalls, which told voters to "relax" and stay home instead because Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley had already "been successful." But the operative, who also works with dozens of Democrats in Baltimore and Prince George's County, has said Ehrlich probably had no knowledge of the calls.
Ehrlich told Patch that his campaign did not order robocalls from Henson or anybody else
"I'm not a fan of [robocalls]," Ehrlich said. "I don't think they work."
Ehrlich also told Patch that he is still weighing his employment options. He said he may return to the Baltimore office that he launched for North Carolina law firm Womble Carlyle Sandridge and Rice. Or, he said, he may pursue an association presidency in Washington, where he could tap his eight years of experience as a member of Congress.
Ehrlich, who lost to O'Malley by 14 percentage points -- more than double his margin of defeat four years ago, when the then-Baltimore mayor ousted the sitting governor -- reiterated his decision to end his career as a politician.
"I can't imagine running for anything in Maryland," he told Patch.