Updated: School system addresses alleged rape at school
Updated at 6:11 p.m.
The city school system released the following statement regarding the reported rape in a city school. Baltimore City Public Schools notified Baltimore City Police that a sex offense (rape) is alleged to have occurred October 4, 2011 at the end of the school day, during an after school program operated by one of the district's community partners. The incident was first reported to the school on October 20, 2011. The school immediately contacted City Schools Police who transported the parent and student to the Baltimore Police Child Abuse Unit to begin the investigation per standard procedures.
City Schools addresses any allegation of a sexual offense with the utmost seriousness and reports any allegations to Child Protective Services or Baltimore Police Department as appropriate under the circumstances.
From Crime Reporter Peter Hermann:
A 12-year-old girl at a Baltimore middle school has reported that a teenage boy sexually assaulted her in a classroom last month, according to city police.
Police said the girl told police she was attacked about 12:15 p.m. on Oct. 4 inside Harlem Park Elementary/Middle School, but did not report the incident to police until two weeks later. The school is located in the 1400 block of West Lafayette Ave. in Sandtown-Winchester.
Det. Jeremy Silbert, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, said the case is under investigation and no charges have been filed against the 13-year-old suspect. He said detectives are trying to determine whether the girl was raped or sexually assaulted.
Continued by Ed Reporter Erica Green:
The victim's mother reached out to both Fox 45 , who first reported the story, and WBAL TV-11 about the alleged attack. The mother told Fox that the boy was still in school, but she transferred her daughter. According to city school data, obtained by the Baltimore Sun, there were two sexual assaults reported last school year, that resulted in suspension and expulsion.
The mother told the news stations that her daughter was forced with a box cutter, though police say they had no report of the weapon.
The city school system has not made a statement.