This Weekend's Seminars
Bring pencil and paper, everybody. You are going to need to take notes.
- Saturday at Homestead Gardens in Davidsonville, there will be a lecture at 11 a.m. and a book-signing at 12:15 with Allan Armitage, author of Crazy Plants for Crazy Gardeners.
- And on Sunday, as Homestead wraps up its spring garden show, there is a class at noon with Rita Calvert of Buy Fresh, Buy Local on smoked tomatoes.
- At 2 p.m., there is a panel discussion on regionally grown, sustainable and organic gardening, moderated by Renee Catacalos, editor of Edible Chesapeake magazine.
- All the events are free and open to the public. Homestead is located near the intersection of Routes 424 and 214.
- Valley View Farms in Timonium will hold a spring lawn clinic Saturday at 9 a.m., featuring Bill Trembley from Jonathan Green Lawn and Garden Productions. He will talk about seed, fertilizers and other products, but he will also discuss methods to keep your lawn healthy, like aeration, thatching, grub control and mowing.
- Bring a small soil sample for free pH analysis.
- At 11 a.m. at Valley View, Suzanne Barton and Joann Weber will teach a class on growing cool weather vegetables and herbs, such as asparagus, broccoli, collards and rhubarb.