baltimoresun.com

« No Tuesday concerts canceled because of snow | Main | Tiki Barge's neighbors want bar's liquor license revoked to "promote the peace and safety of the community" »

February 22, 2011

Family of Select Lounge shooting victims march in protest

Some 100 family members and friends of William H. Torbit Jr., the officer who was shot outside Select Lounge in January, marched Monday to protest the delay in Baltimore Police's investigation.

The protesters, who marched from Select Lounge to City Hall, told WJZ-13 they've been kept in the dark by police about the investigation's progress. 

“Think about if it was your son, your daughter, your nephew.  You would want some type of answers,” cousin Nathaniel Bond Jr. told the station.

 Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III said at the time of the incident the investigation into the shooting, where officers fired 41 bullets, would take three weeks. But six weeks later nothing has been finalized.

Police told Crime Beat last week it had not yet received autopsy reports from the state medical examiner's office. Also: the panel of experts who will review the events that led to the shooting haven't been officially picked yet. 

Meanwhile, Select Lounge still has a long way to recover

Video from the march below:

Monday march protesting investigation of Select Lounge shooting:

(via Crime Beat)


Follow Midnight Sun on Facebook and Twitter @midnightsunblog
Posted by Erik Maza at 1:28 PM | | Comments (1)
Categories: News
        

Comments

How many were shot on their way to city hall? Baltimore is safe!

Post a comment

All comments must be approved by the blog author. Please do not resubmit comments if they do not immediately appear. You are not required to use your full name when posting, but you should use a real e-mail address. Comments may be republished in print, but we will not publish your e-mail address. Our full Terms of Service are available here.

Please enter the letter "n" in the field below:
About Erik Maza
Erik Maza is a features reporter at the Baltimore Sun. He writes for several sections of the Sun paper and contributes weekly columns on music and nightlife. He also writes and edits the Midnight Sun blog. He often covers entertainment, business, and the business of entertainment. Occasionally, he writes about Four Loko, The Block, the liquor board, and those who practice "simulated sex with a potted palm tree." Before The Sun, he was a reporter at the Miami New Times. He's also written for Miami magazine, the Orlando Sentinel, the Sarasota Herald Tribune and the Gainesville Sun. Got tips? Gripes? Pitches? He's reachable at erik.maza@baltsun.com. Click here to keep up with the dumb music he's listening to.

Midnight Sun covers Baltimore music, live entertainment, and nightlife news. On the blog, you'll find, among other things, concert announcements, breaking news, bars closings and openings, up-to-date coverage of crime in nightlife, new music, round-the-clock coverage of Virgin Mobile FreeFest, handy guides on bars staying open past 2 a.m. on New Year's Eve and those that carry Natty Boh on draft. Recurring features include seven-day nightlife guides, Concert News, guest reviews of bars and concerts, Wednesday Corkboard, and photo galleries, as well as reader-submitted photos. Thanks for reading.
-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Most Recent Comments
Recent tweets
Sign up for FREE nightlife alerts*
Get free Baltimore Sun mobile alerts
Sign up for nightlife text alerts

Returning user? Update preferences.
Sign up for more Sun text alerts
*Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Weekend Watch newsletter
Plan your weekend with baltimoresun.com's best events, restaurant and movie reviews, TV picks and more delivered to you every Thursday for free.
See a sample | Sign up

Photo galleries
Stay connected