Wedding caterers to the stars: Duff Goldman and Carla Hall help Chef Art Smith tie the knot
Oprah’s former personal chef and "Top Chef Masters" competitor Art Smith married his longtime partner in Washington last weekend in a production so grand, it should have been directed by Cecil B. DeMille. Two Baltimore culinary figures were among the cast of thousands.
Duff Goldman, of "Ace of Cakes" and Charm City Cakes, made the cake, a nine-tiered, celadon-colored tower of white chocolate, raspberry, almond amaretto cream and cardamom pistachio.
And Carla Hall, a Silver Spring caterer who was a "Top Chef" finalist in season five, made the fruit-and-nut granola served before a pre-ceremony workout.
There's a whole lot more detail available below for anyone who's interested, in the form of a press release put out by the PR firm for the hotel and restaurant that hosted the extravaganza. (Smith is chef at the restaurant, Art and Soul.)
Intrepid readers who make it all the way to the end will hear about wedding swag that sure beats the usual tulle bag of Jordan almonds. (Among the items guests received: "A gift certificate to any Elite Island Resort in Antigua, Tortola or The Grenadines for up to 7 nights.")
Here's the release from Hisaoka Communications:
Over the weekend on Saturday, August 21st, 2010 The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel and its restaurant Art and Soul hosted THE most talked about gay marriage in our nation’s capitol since its legalization several months ago. Celebrity chefs, reality start personalities, and friends and family from around the country were in town for the nuptials of Oprah’s former personal chef, TLC’s BBQ Pitmasters Judge and Top Chef Masters competitor Chef Art Smith to his long time partner of ten years Jesus Salguerio.
Chef Art and Jesus planned the celebration together which included a full day of festivities with a star-chef wattage, not seen in Washington since the Chefs Move to Schools kick off hosted by the first lady at the White House. Chef Art may be famous for cooking for super-stars, but on Saturday, they were catering for him as his friends and colleagues all contributed original dishes to his wedding gaiety.
For the morning breakfast, Top Chef competitor Carla Hall created an energy boosting fruit and nut homemade granola breakfast to fuel guest before a long run to the Lincoln Memorial lead by Chef Art and his Trainer Az Ferguson. At the Lincoln Memorial, spiritualist Marianne Williamson gave the couple a quick marital blessing before heading back to Art and Soul for the actual ceremony.
During the wedding ceremony that Ms. Williamson officiated, Chef Art and Jesus, wearing matching suites designed by Daniel Sudur and sneakers with their wedding date and Jesus’ heart artwork engraved on them, professed their love with their own wedding vows. After the nuptials, Art and Soul hosted a barbecue themed buffet brunch with dishes by a host of well-known chefs from around the country. The reason for a barbecue? Chef Arts says, “because no matter where you come from, everyone likes to get together over some simple, down home cooking and Southern inspired barbecue.” Straight No Chaser, a 10-man a cappella group, entertained guests with a surprise performance after the nuptials with songs that included “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Poison” by BelBivDevo.
Guests such as International music star Moby; Congressman Dingell and wife Debbie; Fox News’ Chris Wallace and wife Lorraine; friend of Ms. Oprah Winfrey, celebrity interior designer and host to the upcoming Nate Berkus Show, Nate Berkus; Author of The Spectrum, Dr. Dean Ornish; Iron Chef America Chairman and actor Mark Dacascos; fellow TLC BBQ Pitmasters judge and former NFL player Warren Sapp, and more feasted on the on the following:
• Duff Goldman “Ace of Cakes” – Created the nine-tiered, Celadon-Colored layered cake of white chocolate raspberry, almond amaretto cream and cardamom pistachio.
• Myron Mixon “BBQ Pitmasters” – brought his own smoke equipment that was set up on the Art and Soul patio the day before the wedding to create his Pulled Pork and Baked Beans dish.
• Ludo Lefebvre “Top Chef Masters” – Coleslaw
• Lee Ann Wong “Top Chef Masters and Top Chef” – Potato Salad
• Michelle Bernstein “Top Chef” – Macaroni and Cheese
• Elizabeth Karmel “Queen of the Grill” – Beef Brisket
• Travis Timberlake of Art and Soul – Lamb Burgers on pita with cucumber yogurt and olive relish
• Rey Villalobos of Table 52 – Fried Chicken and Biscuits
• William Poole of Wen Chocolates – Artisan Chocolates
Later in the evening, guests were invited to The Liaison Capitol Hill’s rooftop pool for a Summertime Vegetarian Celebration where Moby performed as guest DJ for the evening. Chef Art showed off his new 95 lbs slimmer physique when he jumped into the pool and then coaxed new hubby Jesus into the water with him (half dressed), where they serenaded each other with Lady Gaga songs. The food was provided by Art’s buddies and fellow chefs including:
• Tal Ronnen “The Conscious Cook” – Vegetarian Grilled “Chicken” Sandwiches
• Roberto Caporuscio “USA Delegate for the Associazone Pizzaiuoli Napoletani USA” and Rosario Procino with New York’s Keste Pizza & Vino – Set up three pizza ovens on The Liaison Capitol Hill’s rooftop to create individual margarita pizzas.
• Manolis Alpogianis “Chicago’s famous American Dog hotdogs” – Veggie Dog
• Katherine Kallinis and Sophie LaMontagne “Georgetown Cupcakes” – Cupcakes in flavors such as red velvet, salted caramel, peanut butter fudge and a special vegan chocolate cupcake just for Moby.
At the end of the night all the guests received a lovely EnviroSax eco-friendly gift bag that included:
• A gift certificate to any Elite Island Resort in Antigua, Tortola or The Grenadines for up to 7 nights - sans airfare
• a pair of sandals from Okobos, custom designed featuring Jesus’ artwork
• Ultra light sports watch from WooLoot Wave
• Lunetta Prosecco from Cavit
• Tuscan Chickpea Frittata Mix from Lucini
• Book – “How Apples Grow – The Grow Your World Series” by Mary Beth Albright
• CD from Straight No Chaser – “With a Twist”
• Nail polish from Ginger & Lux colour collection
• Eco-friendly oil from DeLa
• Gift card from Allen Brothers