Top 10 Places to Get Great Hot Chocolate
When I asked for a guest Top 10 list to post while I was on vacation, I got not one, but two: Bucky's, which I used last week, and this mouth-watering list of places to get hot chocolate from Catherinette Singleton. I've linked to her blog, because it was kind of her to make up this list for us, but I need to add that the language on her blog is adults only. Here's Catherinette. EL
Unless you’ve been in a coma for the last month you’ve probably noticed that the temperatures outside have been well below what they should be. Christmas and New Year's have come and gone; but, baby, it’s still cold outside. ...
There’s only so much coffee and/or tea one can drink to keep warm. What’s left? The standard, always classic, always comforting, usually underrated hot chocolate.You would think finding good hot chocolate would be easy, and you would be wrong. Many places claiming to have a decent version are simply using syrup or cheap powder. Frankly, I can make that kind of nonsense at home.
Finding really good quality hot chocolate isn't easy, so here's my list of the top 10 places inside the beltway with delicious hot chocolate:
1) Zachi Cafe in Mount Vernon tops the list with a not-too-sweet, beautifully hand-crafted hot chocolate made from real chocolate. Hoda Kader, the owner, has her hot chocolate down to an art form.
2) Stone Mill Bakery in Lutherville has a fantastic hot chocolate made with Valrohna chocolate from France. Trust me when I tell you that you want to get the homemade marshmallow on top.
3) Woodberry Kitchen in Clipper Mill offers another delicious option, using local ingredients. This pairs really nicely with any dessert being offered.
4) Red Emma’s in Mount Vernon has a spicy hot chocolate with just the right amount of kick. Not too sweet, not too spicy, this is for grownups.
5) Puffs & Pastries, the Hampden bakery, has an artisanal hot chocolate that can be made to order.
6) Teavolve in Harbor East is known for its teas; however, missing the hot chocolate would be a mistake. With or without the whipped cream, its version of hot chocolate stands up to any tea drink offered.
7) Sofi’s Crepes in Station North makes a divine drink that partners very nicely with fresh cream. Order it with the Nutella crepe.
8) Starbucks (various locations) has a pretty tasty Signature Hot Chocolate. It’s rich and creamy, better than you might think you would get from a chain.
9) Meli Patisserie & Bakery in Fells Point is another good choice. Its hot chocolate was the sweetest of the bunch. If you have a real sweet tooth, this is the one for you.
10) Daily Grind in Fells Point also makes its hot chocolate from real chocolate. You can get it with soy milk for a nuttier flavor.