Top 10 Food Quotations -- With a Prize
Somewhere along the way, I started jotting down quotations that stuck me as insightful or funny or potentially useful for staff meeting arguments in a little spiral-bound notebook that I carried around with me in my briefcase. Thoughts like, “Sooner or later, you’re going to have to be your own hero” and “Work is for people who never learned how to fish.”
When EL asked for a guest Top 10 to cover her while she was on vacation, I thought to myself, “Whoa, this should bring Jay C. back to the blog.” Ha Ha Ha … I didn’t think that. I’m just kidding. ...
I went into my collection of quotations (now stored on Microsoft Word) and dug out some of my favorites that would meet the pesky “food-related” requirement. I actually had a difficult time narrowing it down to 10.Feel free to add your own, and if somebody adds the one that should be on the list but isn’t, because I’ve seen it in D@L comments a few times, they will win a prize. (To keep things on the up and up, I’ve told EL what the winning quotation is.)
Enjoy your vacation, Elizabeth. We know you deserve it.
1) “My favorite animal is steak.” ~ Fran Lebowitz
2) “Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.” ~ Alice May Brock
3) “I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks.” ~ Totie Fields
4) “Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
5) “What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?” ~ Lin Yutang
6) “Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts!” ~ James Beard
7) “He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters.” ~ James I
8) “A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do.” ~ P.J. O'Rourke
9) “Food is not about impressing people. It's about making them feel comfortable.” ~ Ina Garten
10) “Never eat more than you can lift.” – Miss Piggy