Top 10 Dishes for $10 or Under
This Top 10 could have gone several ways. It could be a list of good dishes at down-home eateries, where you wouldn't expect the food to be expensive. Or it could be a list of really good bargains at chains. Commenters under an earlier post had suggestions for both.
I decided to limit it to places that were a little more unexpected than either of those. Maybe the restaurants on my list are places you've wanted to try but thought they might be too pricey. Or maybe you've simply forgotten the good review I gave them.
Obviously this list is heavily weighted toward places I've been to in the last year or so, but I hope you'll round it out with other recommendations. And I had to rely maybe too much on small plates to keep the price at $10 or under.
Still, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these: ...
* Handmade ravioli stuffed with chicken and mushrooms with braised kale, a foie gras tarragon cream sauce and truffle oil at Bistro Blanc for $10
* Roast pork belly with pickled peaches and scallion jam over cornbread at the Brewer's Art for $9
* Masala dosa (spiced potatoes, onions and lentils) at the Carlyle Club with sambar and fresh coconut chutney for $8
* Red Thai Mussels at Frank & Nic's West End Grille. Mussels steamed in a red Thai curry sauce with coconut milk. Served with toasted baguette for $10
* The individual cipolla pizza at Iggies. Red onion confit, ricotta, pancetta, mozzarella for $9.50
* Tamales de pollo at the Mari Luna Latin Grille, filled with shredded chicken. Served on banana leaves with guacamole and pico de gallo salsa for $9
* Grilled Mission figs wrapped in prosciutto for $10 at Salt.
* Shrimp, mango and other tropical fruit ceviche at Talara for $5 (during happy hour)
* Sauteed artichoke hearts, shrimp and capers in a tomato and parmesan cheese cream sauce at Tapas Teatro for $8.95
* Flatbreads at Woodberry Kitchen for $9 (toppings subject to change)
(Lloyd Fox/Sun photographer)