Top 10 Restaurants to Get Soft Shell Crabs
You don't have to be a native Marylander to appreciate the crunch of little legs, but it helps. People who are new to the area sometimes look in horror at even the most beautiful platter of soft-shell crabs, and the sandwich with the little legs dangling out seems particularly repellent to them. Especially when the yellow fat, otherwise known as the mustard, oozes out.
That's OK, as one commenter said under an earlier post. More for us.
Here's my list of 10 delicious preparations of soft-shells in alphabetical order. It should give you a range of options. If you're new to our Top 10 Tuesday lists, please read the Official Disclaimer before you comment. ...
* Asian, French and Baltimore-inspired crab cake and tempura soft crab finished with wasabi cream at Alizee in Tuscany/Canterbury (pictured).
* Dusted with flour and Old Bay rub (contains a little brown sugar) and sauteed, finished with basil aioli at Annabel Lee Tavern in Canton.
* Lightly tempura fried or sauteed with a Creole mustard drizzle at Catonsville Gourmet in Catonsville.
* Grilled soft shells served with tomato and corn relish or crunchy (fried) polenta at Chameleon Cafe in Lauraville.
* Lightly deep fried or pan fried to make it crispy and golden with an Old Bay and mustard hollandaise at La Famiglia in Tuscany/Canterbury.
* Tempura soft crabs with succotash of sweet corn and butter beans and charred heirloom tomato emulsion at Ixia in Mount Vernon.
* A great soft-shell crab sandwich can be had at Kibby's on Wilkins Avenue across from St. Agnes Hospital.
* Crispy fried soft-shell crabs with a choice of chili, basil, garlic sauce or black bean, mushroom, ginger sauce at Lemongrass in Annapolis.
* Panko-crusted deep-fried with an arugula-frisee salad with a lemon vinaigrette is one of several varieties at the Oceanaire Seafood Room in Harbor East.
* Dipped in corn flour, pan fried and served with a whole-grain mustard sauce and angel hair zucchini at the Oregon Grille in Cockeysville.
(Jed Kirschbaum/Sun photographer)