Top 10 Restaurants You Haven't Thought of for Mother's Day
When I asked for suggestions from readers for Mother's Day in an earlier post, I only got two. Thank you, NotableM and Matthew. (I did get more recommendations for Colorado -- don't ask -- but I'm trying to pretend that didn't happen.)
I was interested in the range: Friendly Farm and the Milton Inn. So I started with those two for the list and then I thought, why not make the rest of them restaurants people probably wouldn't think of. If you're only getting around to planning Mother's Day now, you may not be able to get reservations at the obvious, famous-for-their-Sunday-brunch places.
Anyway, here's my list. I tried to give you something in all price points, as the marketing people say, and in various areas: ...
* Cafe Bretton (849 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd., 410-647-8222) in Severna Park. Charming decor, French-inspired food, including vegetables and herbs from the large garden out back.
* Carlyle Club in Tuscany/Canterbury. Yes, it's an Indian restaurant, but for Sunday brunch it has multiple carving stations, omelets, Belgian waffles, eggs, bacon and sausage, a dessert bar and alcohol for $19.95. The Mother's Day brunch will be more elaborate, I've just learned, and will cost $34.95.
* Crush in Belvedere Square. A brunch buffet for $24.95 and a special Mother's Day dinner menu offered.
* Da Mimmo in Little Italy. Mothers and grandmothers get 20 percent off their entrees. Special Mother's Day desserts like zabaglione with strawberries.
* Friendly Farm in Upperco. Family style eating, but serving Mother's Day dinner from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. The special will be the highly regarded crab cake with scallops, but the regular menu will be available. No reservations!
* Kent Manor Inn in Stevensville. If you feel like a bit of a drive, this is just past the Bay Bridge. The elaborate Mother's Day brunch is $39, half-price for kids (under six, free).
* Lucy's Irish Pub & Restaurant downtown. If your mother has any Irish in her, consider the all-you-can eat brunch here for $16.95 as well as bottomless mimosas, bloody marys and bellinis.
* Milton Inn in Sparks. A lovely country drive this time of year. Brunch and dinner will both be served; the Mother's Day menus will be online in the next couple of days, I was told when I called.
* Paul's Homewood Cafe in Annapolis. Usually closed on Sunday, this charming Greek/New American restaurant will be open Mother's Day with an a la carte menu.
* Restaurant Sabor in Lutherville. If you don't like all-you-can-eat buffets, Sabor will be having several seatings and Mother's Day specials but an a la carte menu. I had a very good meal there.
(Elizabeth Malby/Sun photographer)