Top 10 Places to Get Fabulous French Fries
I got so many suggestions for places to get good regular french fries that I decided not to include sweet potato fries. We'll have to make up another list for them.
This list also doesn't include creations like the beer-battered fries topped with a Gorgonzola cream sauce at the now-closed Fire Rock Grill in Columbia or the blue cheese french fries at Morton's the Steakhouse because they seem like more appetizers than a side dish.
I tried to give a range of options from basic done well to very fancy. If anyone is really dedicated to fries, I hope you'll try all 10 and report back. The list is in alphabetical order by restaurant: ...
* Garlic-rosemary fries at the Brewer's Art in Mount Vernon.
* Capital Grille's fries tossed in parmesan, kosher salt and white truffle oil.
* Corks' fries that come with a burger and should come with its fish and chips. The homemade chips are very good, but we're talking tradition here.
* Five Guys because the bags of potatoes are sitting right there and they are cooked in peanut oil.
* McDonald's fries. What can I say? Even global chains get it right sometimes.
* Pommes frites at Petit Louis Bistro in Roland Park: thin and crisp, with peel along one side.
* Duck fat fries with a trio of sauces at Salt in the Butchers Hill-Patterson Park area.
* Curly fries at the Swallow at the Hollow (5921 York Road, 410-532-7542) in Govans.
* Boardwalk fries from Thrasher's (807 Atlantic Ave., Boardwalk, 410-289-4150) in Ocean City. Served with vinegar, of course.
* Fries at Waterfront Hotel in Fells Point with Old Bay and a chipotle dipping sauce.