Top 10 Child-Friendly Places That Aren't National Chains
I mostly have to credit readers with these suggestions because you have to be eating with your infant or toddler to really know how restaurants are going to treat you.
The one restaurant that was mentioned numerous times but isn't included is Amer's Cafe in Fullerton. The Web site has disappeared and the phone number rings and rings without an answering machine picking up (but that may be because I was calling on a Monday), so I couldn't verify that it's still open. I even tried to call the theater next door. If you've been recently, please let us know.
Anyway, here's my list. Other suggestions are welcome, but please tell us why you're recommending the restaurant. ...
* Alexander's Tavern in Fells Point has a kids' menu, crayons and four Leapsters for children to play with while they wait for their orders.
* Amicci's in Little Italy has a children's menu and high chairs. Probably the best choice for small kids in the popular tourist destination.
* Clementine in Hamilton expanded and put in a lounge for adults after it opened with a play area for children.
* Friendly Farm in Upperco. The archetypal child-friendly restaurant in the area, with family-style dining.
* Golden West Cafe in Hampden probably got the most votes from readers for toys and a children's menu, and (for once it's a plus) noise, so no one notices if your kid is loud.
* Iggies in Mount Vernon. People who love their dogs so much they name their gourmet pizza parlor after them are probably going to welcome kids as well.
* Koco's Pub in Lauraville has a "children's corner," a kids' menu with a popsicle for dessert, and what some consider the best crab cake in town.
* Lebanese Taverna in Harbor East. Who knew a restaurant in such a trendy neighborhood catering to young professionals would be welcoming to kids?
* Sushi Hana in Towson has a koi pond and, unlike the new location, isn't crowded. MariaB suggested chicken on a stick and rice for little ones. She mentioned the staff is "kind and efficient."
* Zen West in Govans. It's family friendly with a children's menu and a lively decor that appeals to youngsters.
(David Hobby/Sun photographer)