Top Ten Great Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
When I said if I got enough suggestions under my post on elite grilled cheese sandwiches I would make a Top Ten list out of them, I never thought it would actually happen. But here it is, with some help also from Midnight Sun Sam Sessa.
I figure it's a good counterbalance to the effete snobbery of last week's Top Ten on great restaurant cheese plates. Take heart, Jonathan Gilbert and Donny B. (For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, you can find their comments under the previous Top Ten post.) Oh yes, and Trouble's under the breakfast sandwich post.
Also, special thanks to Retired in Elkridge for making the suggestion in the first place, even though he had to drag me kicking and screaming because I didn't think any places around here were making elite grilled cheese sandwiches.
PS: If anyone knows the name of the "hole in the wall" at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Haven Street with a great grilled cheese sandwich that Eve mentioned, please post below.
Here's the list: ...
* Atwater's in Belvedere Square. This is only on the menu regularly in the fall but they will make it for you if you ask. Carr Valley Baby Cheddar on homemade country white ($4.50)
* Cocoaccinio's in Pikesville. Cheddar, feta and avocado on 12-grain bread ($5.95)
* Copra downtown. "Jason's Double Decker Griddled Cheese" with Wisconsin cheddar and Provolone ($6.95). You can add more cheese for $1, Applewood bacon for $2 and a mug of soup for $3.
* Grill Art Cafe (1011 W. 36th St.) in Hampden. The Spiced-Up Grilled Cheese with cheddar jack, tomato, red onion, banana peppers and fresh cilantro on cheddar jalapeno bread ($5.95).
* Main Ingredient Cafe in Annapolis. Grilled provolone, cheddar, tomato slices and honey mustard on your choice of wheat or white ($7.50)
* Oregon Grille in Cockeysville: Portobella mushroom, provolone and Boursin on rustic white bread ($9)
* Rocket to Venus in Hampden. Smoked gouda, American and Swiss on baguette with Bloody Mary sauce ($7)
* Tark's Grill in Lutherville. The Great American Grilled Cheese with bacon and tomato, side of fresh fruit ($7.95)
* Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia. Lobster grilled cheese with Brie and Maine lobster ($15).
(Photo of Oregon Grille's sandwich by Amy Davis/Sun photographer)